Muse du Jour

My name is Marianne Plumridge. I am an artist of mythic fantasy works and fine art images. I also satisfy my creative muse with sewing, cooking, writing and reading. These are my thoughts and adventures with whichever muse drives me each day. You can find more of my art at www.marianneplumridgeart.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, February 05, 2007

Fabulous Fakes and Forgeries...an Artshow

Madame K
(9x16", Oil) Price: $200.00
The sunday before last, Bob and I were frantically working on our entries for the '14th Annual Fakes and Forgeries' show at Spring Bull Gallery in Newport, RI. We thought we had another week to get them done, but the end of January crept up on us way too soon. As it was, I had a fair idea of what I wanted to do, the stumbling block - as it always is - was designing and drawing what I wanted to do first: turn John Singer Sargent's stunning portrait, 'Madame X' into a koala bear. Yes, I know, another koala bear...

The result is as you see above. She didn't turn out too badly, all the rushing considered. Bob whipped out an alla prima oil version of one of Albert Bierstadt's paintings of 'Seals on Rocks' in a 9x12" format. Copies of Bierstadt's must be kind of rare at this show, because Bob's painting sold on opening night and was one of the first to do so. We also eavesdropped on converstions while people were looking at it. They raved! We were quite chuffed. Mind you eavesdropping was impossible to avoid: the little gallery was packed to the rafters as usual, with people.

'Madame K' attracted comment as well. People thought she was funny and cute. And I had to explain to at least one woman what kind of critter she was supposed to be. She hasn't sold yet, but I'm hopeful...

After the mad dash to Newport for the opening this Saturday gone (3rd), we made an even madder dash all the way up to Woonsocket to meet friends at Chan's Eggroll and Jazz restaurant on Main Street. Great food, great company, and front table seats to see Johnny Hoy and the Bluefish play some great blues - some torchy - and jazz. It was a great night.

However, I'd better get back to painting, or I'll be behind in getting stuff together for the next show in two weeks: Boskone science fiction convention in Boston.

Cheers
Marianne

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Nothing wrong with another Koala ;) She's awesome!

Stephen and I just got our hotel for San Diego Comic-Con today. Hopefully we'll see you guys there again!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hi Sarah!

Thanks! We won't be attending Comic Con this year, but we might see you in Dallas in a few weeks. :-D That would be great.

Cheers
Marianne

7:40 PM  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Madame K is too perfect! What would Sargent think? Another scandal in the making...

4:11 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Ta, Carol. :-D

Got to think of something different for next year, now. :-D

Marianne

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home